On Friday, September 18, 2020, our 5th-8th graders will be participating in a new, interactive personal finance program, "Money for a Change" presented by Thom Hiatt.
Be inspired as our academy's hall will be transformed into a living community of future adults learning to give, save, and spend.
Students will identify their talents, and will earn competitive salaries to cover most of their household expenses, offer charitable donations, and grow their retirement investments.
Instruct the rich to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share (1 Timothy 6:18).
As they visit a variety of businesses and organizations, with a checkbook in hand, each student will make important financial decisions and optimize his/her budget. But it's not all fun and games. At any moment, students will say, "WHOA!" when they discover an unexpected expense — or receive a surprise windfall of fortune!
Prepare your work outside, and make it ready for yourself in the field; afterwards, then, build your house (Proverbs 24:27).
Each subsequent year, students will return to see how their community has changed, how their investments may have grown, and to discover if their new raise at work will cover the cost of an unexpected car repair!
Our goal? Students will graduate from Santa Sophia Academy with a solid appreciation of hard work, a track record of smart budgeting, and a firm understanding of what it means to Give, Save and Spend the money they earn by using their God-given talents.
This year, Santa Sophia Academy celebrates 60 years as a culturally-diverse community welcoming families and students of all faith backgrounds.
ATTN: Business Owners & Managers
We're looking for local businesses to sponsor the event and participate in the morning-long program. Invest $250 as a category-exclusive* business sponsor for next year's program (September 2021) and you will be included in this year's inaugural program (September 18, 2020) for no charge! The academy reserves the right to approve the participation of any business.
*Category-exclusive means that there will be only ONE coffee shop, ONE phone company, etc.
- Your business logo will be shown on the SSA Money for a Change web page before, during and after the event. Your logo will be linked to your web page.
- Your business name and / or logo will be included in multiple school newsletters sent home via paper and via email to ALL school parents.
- At the event, you'll have a 10 x 10 foot space to set up your imaginary "store." We will provide an 8-foot table and chairs, and the rest is up to your creativity.
- Your business will be included in the budgeting materials provided to participating students, and all participating 5th-8th grade students will interact with every "store" on site, including yours.
- You are welcome to interact with any radio or television station that may be onsite to report on the event.
- Your business-card-sized advertisement or coupon will be included in the Thank-You recap information that will be mailed to the homes of all participating 5th-8th grade students. You provide a PDF or JPG of your 3.5" wide x 2" tall ad / coupon.
- Your ad will also be included in at least one newsletter emailed to all school parents.
- You will receive the first right of refusal in your business category, to participate the following year.
- Your check may be written payable to Santa Sophia Academy.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Business & Organizations may include:
- Santa Sophia Academy
- Santa Sophia Catholic Church
- Community Alliance
- San Diego County Sheriff's Department
- WASTE MANAGEMENT
- TV Station
- Radio Station
- Grocery Store
- Housing (Mortgage or Rent)
- Electricity or Solar
- Water Service
- Internet Service
- Transportation & Automotive
- Retail Store
- Coffee Shop
- Entertainment Venue
- Investment Group
- Fitness Program or Gym
- Travel Agency
- Mobile Phone Provider
- Restaurant or Cafe
- Insurance Agency
- Doctor's Office or Dentist
- Others will be considered. Let us know what you have in mind!
100% of the proceeds will benefit the Santa Sophia Academy Student Leadership Development Program.